Monday, March 5, 2018

Alebrije Project


February was all about my #Crush but now we have entered March and it's Youth Art Month! This month will be celebrating my students and their hard work in 2017/2018.  This is a project created by my 5th grade. It was inspired by the movie Coco... which was just released for purchase.  I started the lesson with this GREAT video by SuperCarlinBrothers. I broke it into bits so that we could have discussion throughout the video. 


This was such a fun way to explain Alebrije's and a bit of history and culture. I also showed a TON of examples of Albrije's to my students after a quick Google search. 

We then started pre-planning... the head, body, feet, tail, and some added wings... this took us a while because we were adding so much design.

Once we had some good ideas for our project, we printed our legs using foam plates.  This was a lot of fun for the kids.  I broke down and showed a video on how to 'carve' into the foam and how to print using ink.  We printed more than we needed so kids to choose their favorite 4 for the animals. 


Then we did some work on the body, drawing it with pencils, adding tempera stick, and adding final designs with oil pastels. 


Students cut all the parts of their art and collaged them together. 


When displayed these Alebrije's looked amazing! 


I put a lot of work into this lesson plan over the last couple of weeks and have a lesson ready to share with you and more importantly, your students! I try to make the lesson plans ready to show in class so you have several student-friendly videos, and images to support the creation of this lesson. Above is an overview of the lesson plan I am selling on Teacher Pay Teachers. To celebrate the release of this new lesson, I'm throwing a sale for the next couple days... 20% off this new lesson!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment